>> Tuesday, February 2, 2010
I recently discovered Beckons Organic while I was looking for organic cotton clothing. Beckons has beautiful, eco-conscious yoga-inspired clothing for women and men. It is all made for comfort with a great fit but also with attention to styling and details. Beckons uses vivid colors and the finest organic cotton to create comfy yoga pants, yoga tops, camis, dresses, and yoga skorts. They also have eco-friendly men's pants and shorts!
At Beckons Organic, they maintain that,"Our clothes are an expression of our beliefs and an extension of our practice into our everyday lives. We maintain a strong commitment to the triple bottom line, where profit is equally as important as our impact on the planet and it's people." Beckons proudly uses only organic cotton and sustainable fibers in their clothes. They are, "equally proud to partner with a domestic manufacturer in San Diego to create its clothing... sewers are paid fairly, receive vacation pay and work in a clean and safe environment."
In case you are wondering what is so great about organic cotton, let me tell you a few reasons why it lessens the impact on the environment and is better:
* Because they have not been tainted by chemicals, the fibers of organic cotton are longer, softer and less brittle, making them more comfortable to wear.
* Organic cotton requires less water to grow than conventional cotton.
* The elimination of polluting chemicals and nitrogen leaching protects water supplies.
* The primary focus of organic farming is to use practices that build healthy soils.
* Organic production reduces health risks. The EPA considers seven of the top 15 pesticides used on cotton as “possible,” “likely,” “probable,” or “known” human carcinogens. Organic agriculture helps prevent any more of these chemicals from getting into our air, earth and water.
I tried the "Strength Organic Cotton T Shirt" in "grape" from Beckons Organic. It came minimally packaged in a recyclable envelope with recycled tissue paper but well protected and nice touches like the cute stamp! The t shirt is really nice. It has a flattering scoop neckline without being too low and nice detailed double stitching around the neckline. It is fitted and has small cap sleeves. It is a lightweight organic cotton and this gives an almost stretchy feel. In fact, I had to check the tag to make sure it was 100% cotton- and of course it was! It also has a cute little flower (the Beckons symbol) sewed onto the sleeve. Another little detail they do on all their peices is a little tag at the bottom side of the tee that says "Wisdom" and "Strength" on it. They call this an "intention tag" and print words such as wisdom, courage, love, grace, integrity, and strength on them. I really love the t shirt and I would recommend it on the basis of both comfort and cuteness! One word of caution- they are fitted so keep this in mind when selecting your size.
Beckons Organic has generously agreed to give my readers a 20% discount! Just use discount code "MOMTS".
Beckons did provide the strength organic cotton t shirt in exchange for my honest opinions. The opinions I expressed are my own and no monetary compensations was provided.